Saturday, August 8, 2015

Punctuation, Part 1

1. Unnecessary Commas:
  • I learned that you should not put commas between compound elements that are not independent clauses. I sometimes do this in my writing to put a break in the reading, but now I know that it is not grammatically correct.
2. The Semicolon:
  • Semicolons have always been tricky for me. I never know when to use them and when not to use them, even what they are used for. I tend to shy away from them if I can. After reading this section I learned that you typically use them to connect related independent clauses that are not joined by a conjunction. The book gave great examples that I can relate to and now I know when I can use a semicolon by referring to these examples.
3. Other Punctuation:
  • More specifically, the use of dashes and brackets. Again, I tend to stay away from these as I do not fully understand the proper use of them. From reading this section, however, I have a better understanding of when it is acceptable and appropriate to use dashes and brackets. I can use brackets to show the topic of a quotation when the context does not give it away like the original article would.
Flickr. Punctuation Saves Lives, September 30, 2011, Attribution 2.0 Generic
Reflection:

I reviewed Brandon and Mark's drafts for punctuation. While reviewing them, I noticed a bunch of great examples of punctuation that were grammatically correct. Brandon uses an ellipsis perfectly in this quote: “They’re more likely to have vaccine concerns and to ‘perceive fewer benefits associated with vaccines,’ a study found--despite the scientific evidence…” The quote continues on, yet for his project, only that part is necessary so the ellipsis is used. For Mark's project, his use of a semicolon further tought me the correct way of using one. He writes, "22 workers were found to be contaminated after the release; however, the department of energy found that..." His clauses are independent, yet related so they are able to be joined by a semicolon.

No comments:

Post a Comment