Saturday, August 1, 2015

Reflection on Project 2

Reflecting on my own revision process:

What was specifically revised from one draft to another?
  • The biggest changes from my original draft to my final came in the form of a new introduction and conclusion. I revised them to be more concise and avoid unnecessary information. I also made sure all grammatical errors were removed.
How did you reconsider your thesis or organization?
  • My thesis did not change throughout the revision process. I, along with my peers thought that my original thesis did a great job of summarizing the information and informing the reader what my essay was going to be about. That also applies to organization, I decided to keep my format the way it was and did not change the layout of my essay.
What led you to these changes?
  • My peers, as well as assignments led me to make these revisions. If we were not required to peer-edit and complete the revision assignments, I may never have noticed the errors in my essay, and likely would have published a bad copy.
How do these changes affect your credibility as an author?
  • Correcting the grammatical errors in my essay not only make it flow better, but also increases my credibility. An author who really knows how to write will make their information appear more credible and factual, which leads the audience to believe them more and be interested in what they are saying.
How will these changes better address the audience or venue?
  • A majority of the changes I made were to sentence structure and word choice. I almost forgot I was writing for a business audience and began to use complex structure and big words that were unnecessary. I revised my paper to stay on course with business-style writing: short, concise, and to the point.
How did you reconsider sentence structure and style?
  • By taking advice from my peers, I changed sentences around to make more sense and appear grammatically correct. A big help in this category was from the clarity topics in Rules for Writers.
How will these changes assist your audience in understanding your purpose?
  • My audience is geared toward business students who focus on short, informative pieces. My revisions to create smaller, more concise sentence structures will assist my audience in better understanding the topic at hand, as that is how they are taught and know how to read and write. More clear sentences = better understanding.
Did you have to reconsider the conventions of the particular genre in which you were writing?
  • I did not have to reconsider the conventions of a standard essay, as I am very familiar with how they work. The only thing I had to change was being less persuasive, and more informative.
How does the process of reflection help you consider your identity as a writer?
  • Revision and reflection help point out the flaws in my writing and what I can do better to further my credibility as a writer. It makes me realize that my writing is not perfect like I may think the first draft is, and that I need to be more thorough in my revisions to create the best essay possible.
Wikimedia Commons. Thinking Man, November 24, 2007, Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 4.0 International

No comments:

Post a Comment