Monday, August 10, 2015

Reflection on Project 3

1. What was specifically revised from one draft to another?
  • The biggest revision was the change of format. When I started the project, I had planned on doing a scholarly article type feel. While researching more articles on the issue, I found many short, informative news articles that related to my topic and I decided I wanted to do that format instead.
2. How did you reconsider your thesis or organization?
  • My thesis statement remained the same throughout the project, that being I was pro-legalization and was going to write on that stance. As for organization, the type of essay remained the same, being an informative and persuasive stance, yet my mode of delivery changed from a scholarly article to a news article.
3. What led to these changes?
  • I wanted to change my purpose of just informing, to informing with a creative and interesting mode of delivery. Scholarly articles are boring, I want my audience to recognize my information and remember it. Not just skim over endless lines of text.
4. How do these changes affect your credibility as an author?
  • While going from a scholarly article to a news article may decrease my credibility as it is less professional and exact, I feel that the formatting and overall design of the project refutes that. It is clean, crisp, and easy for the audience to understand and believe.
5. How will these changes better address the audience?
  • My audience will be able to better understand the information and take more away from it. As my target audience is those who are also pro-legalization, I'm hoping this format reiterates my ideas in their head to match theirs and remind them as to why marijuana should be legalized.
6. How did you reconsider sentence structure and style?
  • Starting from a scholarly article, I had long and complex sentences using complicated words. After I changed to a news article, I "dumbed" it down by reducing the length of my sentences and using easier to understand words as news outlets usually do. I did this in order to appear to a variety of readers.
7. How will these changes assist your audience in understanding your purpose?
  • These changes better outline the information and make it clear what the reader is reading about. My headings are bolded and outlined, and informs the reader exactly what that section is going to talk about. This makes it better to understand the overall purpose of convincing my audience that marijuana should be legalized.
8. Did you have to reconsider the conventions of the particular genre in which you are writing?
  • This was my first time using Prezi for a project, so the learning curve was definitively there. It took me a few minutes to get situated with the Prezi engine and understand how everything works and how to edit my project.
9. How does the process of reflection help you reconsider your identity as a writer?
  • After three projects, I still recognize that I am the procrastinator type. I plan ahead what I am going to write and make minimal revisions. Reflecting on my writings makes me realize this and I think if I'm ever going to change the way I write =[. Practice makes perfect though, right?
Flickr. John Dewey, April 7, 2011, Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic

No comments:

Post a Comment