Thursday, August 13, 2015

Reflection on Open Letter Draft

To start, I reviewed Brandon and Jason's Open Letter drafts.

1. Who is going to be reading this essay?
  • My instructor, as well as my peers will be reading this essay, as it is composed and directed towards them. 
2. What biases might my readers have?
  • They may be bias to how the course went for themselves and could possibly compare that to my experience. I only praised my peers in my open letter, so I feel that I respected their opinion while still maintaining the purpose of the assignment.
3. What are their values and expectations?
  • My instructor and peers expect to read about my experience in 109H and how it relates to past, current, and future experiences I will encounter with regards to writing. I met that expectation by going in-depth into my experiences and how I felt throughout the 5 weeks of 109H. I plan on revising my draft to make sure it is a good analysis and summary of my work, and not just how I felt.
4. How much information do I need to give my audience?
  • For this project, I feel that the answer may vary from person to person. Some indivuduals may have had tougher experiences than others in this class, and thus could write 5 pages detailing their hardships and what they had to overcome. On the other hand, some individuals may have thought this class was a cake walk, and only need 2 pages to explain their experiences. Myself, I was in the middle of those two categories. I explained background information from high school and how I was not familiar with the genres we wrote in for 109H. I then explained how I overcame that and turned my old habits into better ones that improved my english grade compared to high school.
5. What kind of language is suitable for this audience?
  • For my peers, I feel that a language that incorporates the various writing conventions and aspects we learned about in 109H would be very suitable. We are all comfortable with big words and analyzing experiences, (project 2).
6. What tone should I use with my audience?
  • Throughout my draft I maintained a semi-professional, easy going tone. As this was the victory lap for this course, I wanted to make my open letter flow in a conversational way to take a breather from the formal writing we have been doing over the past 5 weeks. I plan on checking over my draft and revising it to make sure this tone is truly maintained.
PixaBay. Open Letter, August, 2012, CC0 Public Domain

No comments:

Post a Comment