Thursday, July 30, 2015

Clarity, Part 1

In reading the Clarity section of Rules for Writers, I focused on four topics, those being: Add needed words, Emphasize key ideas, Provide some variety, and Eliminate distracting shifts.

Add Needed Words:

I often find myself omitting words because I feel that my sentences can become too wordy, or repeat themselves. After reading the Clarity section on adding needed words, I learned that omitting certain words can lead a sentence to defy grammar, and even recognized that I do this in some of my writings. This knowledge will help me make sure my sentences are logical, while also not becoming too wordy.

Emphasize Key Ideas:

The section in emphasizing key ideas that stood out to me the most was "Excessive subordination." When I am trying to strongly emphasize something, I often add words to create length as I believe this makes the reader focus more on the sentence. I learned that this is not always the case and that you have to be careful to not overdue it.

Provide Some Variety:

A huge problem of mine is that I am bad at wording similar sentences differently. I often find myself using the same sentence openings that are easily picked up by then reader. This section has opened my mind on ways to include some variety as well as changing up the sentence structure of my writings.

Eliminate Distracting Shifts:

Another problem of mine when I write is I can change verb tense and the point of view without noticing it. This makes the writing's tense confusing and can take away from the message being delivered. I need to choose a suitable perspective and then stay with it, as the book states.

Pixabay. Climber & Clarity, October, 2014, CC0 Public Domain



No comments:

Post a Comment