Thursday, July 30, 2015

Draft of Rhetorical Analysis

I am not too familiar with analyzing specific texts, as that has never been my strong suit. I wrote this as best as I could, trying to stray away from my familiar methods of persuasion and just stating facts. Please take a look at my draft and help me to better it in any way, specifically, my comments on how the author's statements appeal to my audience's values and beliefs with regard to ethos, pathos, logos.

Also, please keep an eye out for any repeated information, or statements that do not add significant understand to the analysis, as business students are taught to write short and straight to the point.

Here is a link to view and comment on my draft of Project 2.

Pixabay. Comments, July, 2014, CC0 Public Domain

Reflection:

After reading the comments on my own essay and reviewing Mark and Brandon's, I learned that clarity issues are more common than I previously thought. I recognized more mistakes in my essay after reading the comments that were given, and realized I make more grammatical mistakes that I never even knew were mistakes. I reviewed Brandon and Mark's rough draft:

Brandon:

"As the previous factor suggested that newly brought-in species can affect the world due to their non-exposure of the world around them, these new species can be more harmful to an ecosystem where it lives than it is beneficial to it."
  • In Brandon's own reflection, he noted that he often struggles with using too many complex sentences. On that note, I thought that commenting on one of his complex sentences would be ideal as a review on clarity. In his above sentence, you can tell that it is very long and wordy, and can be split into two ideas. One sentence can be how newly brought-in species can affect the world due to their non-exposure. The sentence should end with that idea and a new one should begin regarding how those species can harm the ecosystem rather than benefit it.
Mark:

"Although this piece is concerned with a scientific topic, its audience is not limited to technical readers only."
  • The word only is a limited modifier. In speech, you can often get away with incorrect placement of dangling and limited modifiers. In writing, the mistake often stands out more and needs to be more carefully thought out. I myself am no grammar expert, but I believe the word only should go before "technical readers" to provide more clarity and make the sentence grammatically correct.

1 comment:

  1. Uh-oh I need access? Do you want to schedule an online meeting to go over Google's sharing options? I'm happy to help you figure them out...

    ReplyDelete