Thursday, July 30, 2015

Reflection on Project 2 Draft

To start, I reviewed Mark and Brandon's projects.

1. Who is my audience?

- This essay was focused toward business students who have an interest in economics. The paper was written as an example rhetorical analysis on a business article in a method that business students will learn to write in college.

2. What biases might my readers have? Am i respecting their opinions while also achieving my own purpose?

- In my essay, I stayed as unbiased as possible. I stated the facts from the author, and analyzed why and how he was getting his selected information across. My author's bias was that marijuana should be legalized, but my essay allows my readers to decide for themselves.

3. What are their values and expectations? Am I adequately meeting those expectations?

- Business students value short and concise articles. They are taught to get their point across in as few words as possible. I feel that I met this expectation by providing just the right amount of information without being overbearing or not adequate enough to understand the topic at hand.

4. How much information do I need to give my audience? How much background information or context should I provide for them without insulting their expertise?

- As I previously stated, a student in the business field does not need loads of information. However, not all students would be familiar with the topic of marijuana legalization so I provided adequate information that give the perfect amount of background information for the reader to make an informed decision for themselves whether or not they believe marijuana should be legalized.

5. What kind of language is suitable for this audience?

- Business papers are not too technical and do not include substantial quantities of large, complex words. An easy to read, approachable language that anyone could follow, not just business majors, is suitable for this audience, and I feel that I stuck to that well for the most part.

6. What tone should I use with my audience? Do I use this tone consistently throughout my draft?

- My goal was to maintain a formal and informative tone. The general bulk of my essay maintains this format, however, I have noticed a few sentences that undermine that goal and need to be re-worded to appeal to my desired tone better.

Flickr. Hand with Reflecting Sphere, June 18, 2005, Attribution Non-Commercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic

No comments:

Post a Comment