Thursday, July 30, 2015

Project 2 Outline

Here I will lay out what I plan to accomplish in my analysis of "Legalize It -- The Economic Argument."

Introduction:

I will give background context about the debate of whether marijuana should be legalized or not in the United States to give my readers a grasp on the concept in order to better understand the analysis to come. Followed by that will come my thesis statement.

Body Paragraphs:

1. I will analyze the audience and context of the piece, while providing information on the author and how he will be appealing to the values and beliefs of his audience.

2. This paragraph will go into the depth and analysis of the first cultural value I have decided to analyze, which is the health and safety of the public in regards to if marijuana is addictive, and analyze how the author, Ranjit Dighe, states the evidence using rhetorical strategies to appeal to his readers.

3. This paragraph will analyze yet another cultural value of the text, this time being how the author presents his information on the economic costs of legalizing marijuana in the U.S, and the net benefits and net negative benefits.

4. This paragraph will be mainly focused on pathos, and how the author uses emotional context and stories about his own life to appeal to his readers values and receive an emotional response, which in turn helps with persuading the audience to agree on Dighe's stance, pro-legalization.

All of my body paragraphs will contain a topic sentence and end with a sentence relating back to the thesis.

Conclusion:

My conclusion will restate the thesis statement in a new way, while also briefly covering all the rhetorical strategies that were used in the text. I will summarize the information presented to leave my readers with a copy of the text, which will give them the opportunity to decide for themselves if they believe marijuana should be legalized in the United States.

Wikipedia. Planning Process, May 16, 2007, Public Domain

No comments:

Post a Comment